C.I.Agent Polymer technology
C.I.Agents ® polymer technology works in all environments where spills of hydrocarbons can be expected.
It converts the hydrocarbons into a solid rubber-like mass and drastically reduces your carbon footprint. What is new is that we now also install bunds against creosote (for storage of electricity pylons).
C.I.Agent is a proprietary blend of USDA food grade polymers that is non-toxic, non-corrosive, non-carcinogenic, and nonhazardous. C.I.Agent is listed on the EPA National Contingency Plan Product Schedule as a “Solidifier” for use on oil spills in the navigable waters of the United States. C.l.Agent polymers have a long chain molecular structure that is highly cross-linking with organic liquid hydrocarbons, enabling C.l.Agent to solidify liquid hydrocarbons (sheen, gasoline, diesel, and oils, including crudes and solvents) upon contact into an inert solid rubber-like mass that floats.
C.I.Agent can be used in loose granule form, barrier booms (at bunds), flow filters, pillows etc, which effectively can be used for both spill prevention and clean up. It has become the preferred solution for the electric utility industry when it comes to secondary containment and for oil contamination removal in underground vaults, wells and pits/bunds. C.I.Agent Hydrocarbon Flow Filters, storm drain inserts, and sheen bags can remove hydrocarbons from water to levels below 5ppm without impeding the flow of water. C.I.Agent removes liquid hydrocarbons (sheen, and oils, including crudes) from both fresh and water without processing any water.
Solidification rate by weight; 4 parts contaminant to 1 part C.I.Agent Granules; indefinite shelf life.
- Solidifies all organic hydrocarbons.
- Works in both fresh and salt water.
- Has no temperature limitations; extreme heat and cold.
- No expensive mechanical equipment required for recovery.
- Cannot sink.
- Renders hydrocarbons into a non-hazardous solid rubber-like mass.
- Can be disposed of in most landfills
- Can be 100% recycled as raw material for asphalt, rubber and plastic production, or burned as fuel.
- Non-corrosive and non-cancerous
How The C.I.Agent® Polymer Works
CI Agent polymers are composed of lightly cross linked polymer chains. Because of the cross linking, CI Agent displays a markedly unusual behaviour upon contact with organic materials.
Most plastics, for example, dissolve readily in an appropriate solvent, CI Agent, however, does not dissolve but instead; solidify the organic liquid through “micro- encapsulation”, which converts the original liquid into a solid waste. When CI Agent is in contact with an active organic liquid, it begins to solidify through the cross linking of the polymers used in its unique blend. No other chemical or external mechanical action is necessary.
Additionally, organic liquids “captured” by CI Agent are actually absorbed and entrapped in the molecular network and cannot be released from the solidified polymers. The characteristics of the formulated polymers fuse with the hydrocarbon materials, resulting in the formulation of a solid rubber-like mass, which may be easily removed in most clean up situations.
In addition, while solidifying the petroleum-based spill, it does not pick up any water in the process.
Why use The C.I.Agent® Polymer
Benefits of CIAgent Polymers
Benefits of C.I.Agents technology solutions:
– Highly cost-effective and environmentally efficient profile.
– Harmless, non-carcinogenic, non-toxic, non-corrosive food grade polymers.
– CIAgent Barrier boom reduces installation time significantly compared to the traditional methods.
- Encapsulates all forms of hydrocarbons (diesel, gasoline, oils, solvents) into cohesive rubber like mass on contact.
- C.I. Agent guarantees efficient removal of hydrocarbons from various water sources such as streams, lakes, beaches, cliffs, harbors, ditches and outlets. Now also efficient for creosote facilities!
- C.I.Agent solidifies liquid hydrocarbons in fresh water and saltwater – even on ice.
- C.I.Agent will not leach contained hydrocarbons.
- C.I.Agent solidified hydrocarbons cannot sink.
- C.I. Agent formula contains various polymers that individually or when blended solidify a variety of hydrocarbons
- Hydrocarbons solidified from C.I.Agent are mostly recycled and used in other products such as asphalt, plastics, and rubber or used as a solid fuel source in boilers and heaters.
- C.I.Agent Booms are re-usable until 100% absorbed. They can be rinsed and stored for multiple responses where most conventional booms and products are a one use only.
- C.I.Agent does not require a large labour force to clean up spills